How do I keep kids interested in passing practice which is necessary, but can be considered boring?
Another great question. If you have to do passing drills then you have to do passing drills.
- Kids will be motivated if they can see they are getting better.
- Tell them how good they have to be to win the nationals (Average of 2.4)
- Train to be at 2.4 – Measure them every 2-3 weeks. If they see they are improving motivation will not be an issue.
- Train for 10 minutes, get a drink, swap ends or change partners and guess what, they will think it is a new drill.
- Add setting and hitting to the drill. The best passing drill is a dig, set, spike drill.
Have the players set the goals for the session. As a team make sure they are achievable, and then go for it as a team.
In serve reception show them the “Ronaldo in the dark” video on YouTube, so they can work out what is important when passing the serve in a drill.